I adapted this recipe from one out of my New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant book--and Moosewood has yet to disappoint. I didn't have any carrots (I substituted something else orange--sweet potatoes!) and I ended up tweaking a few others things--but the result was still "a well-spiced, wholesome meal of contrasting tastes and textures," so I wanted to record it for future reference. This is the sort of stuff I should have been eating in college--I would have been a lot smarter and less nutrient-deficient, for sure. Oh the days....I'm surprised I survived on Marshmallow Mateys for as long as I did :)
Cuban Black Beans w/ Sweet Potatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
1 onion, small diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
2 sweet potatoes, small diced
1 green pepper, small diced
1 small can tomato sauce (plus one can water)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper to taste
fresh lime
sour cream
cooked brown rice
In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic, and spices in the oil until the onions begin to soften. Add the sweet potatoes and saute for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the green peppers and saute a couple more minutes. Add salt, black pepper, parsley, tomato sauce, and water and simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
Combine the drained black beans with the vegetable mixture and simmer until heated through. Taste for salt.
Serve the beans over hot rice w/a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a dollop of sour cream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yum!! Sounds tastey. Might help me feel like I am back in Cuba. :) And I think there are worse things you could have lived on than marshmallow mateys.....like beer (some of my students here :)
Post a Comment