Thursday, February 25, 2010

Southwestern Tabbouleh Salad

I was in the mood for a healthy/grainy/veggie salad and nothing is more healthy/grainy/veggie-ey than tabbouleh, right? I found my way to this recipe. I made it and ate half of the bowl before I realized I probably should save some for dinner. oops. Since I used a red onion instead of the listed green onion, it tasted like the southwestern bean salad at Einstein Bros. Do they even still have that salad? It's been too long since I've had a bagel, apparently. Anyway, I thought I could add a can of black beans and a cup of frozen corn and it would be almost identical to the Einstein version--and it would make enough for dinner. Excellent--necessity really is the mother of invention. Topped with grilled chicken (I marinated mine in a bottled chipotle lime marinade, but you could just grill it with salt, pepper, cumin and lime juice) it made for a delightful dinner.
Southwestern Tabbouleh Salad
1 cup bulgur wheat
2 cups hot water
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 cucumber, halved, seeded and diced
1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves finely chopped (since it's a southwestern version, cilantro would work too)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
2 lemons, juiced (limes would work too)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed

Put the bulgur in a large bowl and pour in the hot water. Cover with a dish or plastic wrap and let stand for about 30 to 45 minutes to rehydrate. Drain in a strainer, pressing with the back of a wooden spoon to squeeze out as much water as possible.

In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, cucumber, and parsley. Toss the salad well to incorporate the ingredients. Add cumin and season with salt and pepper. Add the bulgur, lemon juice and olive oil. Add the corn and black beans. Fold everything together to incorporate the ingredients. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours. Serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

luke & sammy said...

I will have to try this it looks delicious! I tried your cuban black beans and sweet potatoes and loved it! Thanks for doing this blog :)