Sidenote: Since I was running short on time, I was a little chagrined at myself for buying regular carrots rather than the convenient baby-cut carrots (I kind of bought into all the hype about baby-cut carrots being dipped in chlorine, etc.). But I bucked up, and peeled and chopped some organic-grown carrots, and you know what? They were fantastic and worth the extra two minutes (seriously). Lesson learned.
2 large bell peppers (I used orange and yellow), small diced
1 large onion, small diced
4 stalks celery, small diced
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
1 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 cup pureed black beans (w/ 1/3 cup ketchup added)
1 lb ground beef (I actually used 1.3 lbs)
ketchup
honey
(main difference with PW's recipe: I used smaller amounts of the spices (because of the kiddos), less meat, and omitted the milk since I was using pureed beans)
1. Heat a couple Tbsp of olive oil in a large saute pan. Saute peppers, onions and celery until they begin to soften. Add garlic and salt and cook a few minutes more. Add the rest of the spices, ketchup and bread crumbs. Remove from heat and mix well (mixture will be thick). Let cool.
2. Puree canned or cooked black beans with a little ketchup to loosen mixture.
3. In a large bowl, combine pepper mixture, beans, eggs and meat. Mix well. Roll into small balls (or use an ice cream scoop) and place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup ketcup with 1 1/2 Tbsp honey. Glaze the top of the meatballs with ketchup mixture and bake an additional 3-4 minutes.
Makes 40-50 meatballs.
1 comment:
Tried the meatballs. We love them. However I added a bit more honey to the glaze. Thanks for all your great recipes. Can't wait to try more of them.
Post a Comment