Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apple Upside-Down Cake

For General Conference weekend, we always like to have something special for breakfast. I had found this recipe for Apple Upside-Down Cake that looked delicious, but I thought I should cut down on a little of the butter and sugar (and add some whole wheat flour) to make it more breakfast-appropriate :) Served with some whipped cream, it was perfect for a special morning treat.
Apple Upside-Down Cake
1 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 large, crisp apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour (I used 1 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat over to 350. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan, one at least 2 inches deep (I didn't have one deep enough, so a I used a 8x8 square pan).
2. In a medium sauce pan, melt 4 Tbsp butter. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup and stir over medium heat until the sugar bubbles. Remove from heat and stir in apples, lemon juice and cinnamon. Spread on bottom of cake pan.
3. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whip 4 Tbsp butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Mix and add in vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
5. Drop by spoonfuls over apples in pan, covering apples completely. Bake until golden, about 35 mins (longer if using 8x8 pan). When done, let rest 5 minutes then flip over on plate. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments: