The other day I came across this recipe book titled "Mollie Katzen's Recipes--Salads." I love a good salad, so I glanced through the book and realized that whoever this Mollie Katzen is, she sure loves her veggies. It began with a section entitiled, "A pep talk for wilted saladmakers" and I realized I needed a pep talk :) Her recipes are pretty hard-core, veggie-wise, and I was intrigued by the challenge. She has recipes for "Basic Green Leafy Salad," and "Warm Salad" and "Raw Vegetable Salad" and four different types of Waldorf Salad. There is also recipes for Lentil-Bulgur Salad and Perfect Protein Salad which sound like my kind of creations. Needless to say, I bought the book and have been waiting to try a recipe. You'd think I would begin with something easy--but oh no, I just randomly chose the "Eggless Egg Salad." My only reasoning was that I had a box of tofu in the pantry that I needed to use. I love tofu--I order it at restaurants all the time, but I had yet to cook with it and feed it to my non-tofu-loving family. Anyway, I decided to just jump right in and boy, I'm glad I did. I served this Eggless wonder over green lettuce but it would be excellent in a pita sandwich. I didn't tell Nate what was in it until he had finished and he loved it (but he was glad that he didn't initially know it was tofu). Game on, Salad Lady!
Eggless Egg Salad(Nate suggested we changed the title to something like "Summer Pita Salad" because it didn't really taste like Egg Salad, but was still delish)
3/4 lb. very firm tofu
3 scallions, minced (whites and greens)
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium stalk celery, finely minced
1/2 small bell pepper, finely minced
1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 batch Tofu Mayonnaise (too be honest, I just used a spoonful of lite Mayo, which defeats the whole "eggless" point, but I don't have that much time on my hands, you know)
1/2 tsp salt
fresh black pepper, to taste
1. Cut the tofu into small dice, and place in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients, and mix gently. Season to taste.
3. Cover tightly and chill until cold.
Tofu Mayonnaise (I didn't use this, but I bet it would be good)
1 12-oz box silken tofu
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 to 2 Tbs cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. (and possibly more) dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce
1. Whip everything together in a blender. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Taste to adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
2 comments:
At first glance I thought this said, "Endless Egg Salad" and I didn't want anything to do with it. When I realized it was "EGGLESS Egg Salad," I am wanting to go make it! Good thing I can read. :) Thanks for all of the yummy-sounding veggie recipes!! You are so inspiring.
We had this tonight for dinner. We loved it. It tastes really fresh and my boys thought it was chicken. They loved the lettuce boats. Great idea.
Post a Comment