Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Spaghetti Squash w/ Meatless Sauce

Veggie Tales is back in business! I'm not sure what happened over the Summer--we ate plenty of veggies, I just didn't have time to blog about it. But now we're finally settling into our school schedule and I'm ready for some veggie-liciousness!

Yesterday I made my favorite lentils and rice. It's not much to look at, but boy is it satisfying and yummy. That's my kind of comfort food. I served it with some sauteed summer squash and everyone gobbled it up.

Today I was watching Rachael Ray and she was making Spaghetti Squash with Super-Thick Bolognese. Mmmmm, spaghetti squash. I ate spaghetti squash quite a bit as a kid, but I hadn't ever made it for my family. It's about time, don't you think? I roasted the spaghetti squash like Rachael, but I made a different sauce. Everyone but Sidney liked it and I let the girls eat theirs out of the "squash boats" which they thought made it taste even better :)
Spaghetti Squash w/ Meatless Sauce
1 large spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise and seeded
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce, or crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup lentils, rinsed
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp salt

Place the spaghetti squash halves, cut side up, onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Turn the squash over so they're cut side down and roast until the flesh is tender, about 45 minutes to an hour. Once cooked, use a fork to loosen the squash strands up. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of cheese. Reserve squash in the shells.

While squash is roasting, sautee onions, peppers, carrots and celery in olive oil until tender. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add tomatoes, lentils and seasonings. Simmer 45 minutes until lentils are tender.

To serve, ladle sauce over shredded squash and top with parmesan cheese.

Yep, we liked it!
What?! Do I have something on my face?

No comments: