Monday, April 14, 2008

Vegetable Lasagna

My neighbor, upon hearing of my veggie-quest, said she had a recipe for Vegetable Lasagna. I told her I would love the recipe and the next week she not only brought me the recipe, but she also brought a piece of lasagna! Thanks Amber! So I got to taste the recipe even before I tried it--and it was delicious. I made it last night for Sunday dinner at the Taylors (since Grandma was on her way back from St. George). Everyone liked it--even Camden and Riley who kept asking, "What's in it? What's this? Is this shrimp? Is this chicken?" I don't know where all those questions came from. And Sidney (who has lately only been eating "fruit"--fresh fruit, dried fruit, fruit snacks, etc) ate hers with both hands--a winner!

Vegetable Lasagna
10-12 mushrooms, chopped
10-12 broccoli florettes
(1-2 small zucchini or summer squash may be substituted for either of these)--I added some sliced zucchini, the more veggies the better :)
1 small onion, chopped
2 (26 oz) jars spaghetti sauce
2 lbs. part-skim ricotta cheese
1 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
2 eggs
fresh spinach
1 pkg. lasagna noodles (can use the oven-ready noodles that don't require boiling)

1. Saute chopped vegetables (except for spinach) in large pan. Stir frequently over medium heat until tender. Add 1 jar spaghetti sauce and set aside to cool.
2. In separate bowl, mix together the 3 cheeses (reserve some mozzarella to put on top), eggs and basil.
3. Spread thin layer of spaghetti sauce over the bottom of 9-13 pan. Place 3 noodles over the sauce. Spread 1/3 cheese mixture over noodles. Cover with spinach leaves. Spread vegetable mixture over spinach and top with noodles. Repeat 2 times.
4. Place noodles on top, cover with spaghetti sauce and top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, covered in foil. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until bubbly.

2 comments:

Gramma T said...

Here I am vouching for another of Lindy's culinary delights. The veggie lasagna was delicious and really hit the spot after I arrived home from St. George. It was fun to see Camden and Riley eat it with all their questions, and Sidney eat it with both hands. Another tasty success!

Sarah said...

Sounds tastey! We will have to try it. So Lind I have an idea: let's make a book with all of your veggie yummy recipes and fun stories! What do you think?!