Monday, April 21, 2008

Brinner--Sweet Potato Frittata

I haven't posted for a while--mostly because during Spring Break I took it to mean that I got a break from cooking. We sure ate out a lot :) I think I needed a break, so it was good. But I'm back at it now and need to go shopping to restock the fridge. We needed something for dinner though, so I made the Zucchini Frittata, but instead of zucchini, I shredded up a sweet potato and the Sweet Potato Frittata was born! I served it with our favorite Flax Plus Waffles from Costco and we enjoyed a delicious Brinner (Breakfast for Dinner, as they call it on Scrubs). There's nothing like a good Brinner!

Sweet Potato Frittata
1 cup shredded sweet potato
1/2 medium yellow onion, minced (I used a red onion)
1/2 green bell pepper, small diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 egg whites (I just used 5 eggs)
2 Tbsp milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley or basil, chopped

1. Coat a large ovenproof skillet with nonstick cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Preheat the broiler.
2. Add the sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to skillet and saute until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain off any moisture from the vegetables.
3. In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and half of the herbs. Pour the mixture over the vegetables in the skillet. Allow to cook undisturbed until the eggs begin to set and the edges appear done, then place under the broiler. Cook until the top is lightly browned and the eggs are set. Sprinkle with remaining herbs. Cut into wedges and serve.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I LOVE Brinner, especially when I am short on time. I just made the zucchini frittata last night for dinner. That is so funny! It was mighty tasty. Thanks for the recipe!