This was from the August Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. She wrote, "Over the last several years I've created dozens of takes on the American classic, good ole Sloppy Joe. I can't believe it took me this long to come up with a meat-free buddy, but here you go." I was a little doubtful at first--especially with the pickles and cilantro at the end (which I didn't end up using). But I was pleasantly surprised--it tasted good (not exactly like a sloppy joe, but similar) and the kids ate it up.
Sloppy Veg-Head Joe
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 red, green or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped (I didn't use--due to the kiddos)
1 red onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped (or in my case, garlic powder--yep, I'm a garlic wuss)
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped (my addition to the recipe)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
1 (15 oz) can diced fire-roasted or crushed tomatoes)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (this is where it started tasting like a sloppy joe)
Juice of 1 lime (I didn't use--but would give a nice little kick)
4 crusty rolls, split and slightly toasted
2 dill pickles, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro (opt)
In large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper, onion, jalepenos and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender (6 to 8 mins). Stir in the black beans, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper.
Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce to the bean mixture; simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
Serve on the rolls, topped with pickles and chopped cilantro.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Those sound really good. I'm excited to try those. . .I wonder if I can pass them by Andy w/o him knowing that there is no meat in them. hhmmmm...
Post a Comment