Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got this recipe from my cousin's blog and fell instantly in love--anything with whole wheat flour, oatmeal AND wheat germ scores lots of points with me! Plus, they're sooooo good! The only change I made was with the butter. She had written "1 cup stick real butter" so I didn't know if it was 1 cup or 1 stick (1/2 cup). Of course I erred on the side of caution and only used one stick butter (I couldn't imagine ruining something so deliciously healthy with toooo much butter even though I know many of you would disagree (Nate)). The dough seemed a little dry so I added 1/4 cup applesauce. Surprisingly, they turned out perfect! This one's a winner--thanks Kristin!

Kristin’s Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

¾ cup granulated sugar

¾ cup packed brown sugar

1 cup stick real butter (I used one stick butter, 1/2 cup)

1/4 cup applesauce (my addition to the recipe)

1 large egg

1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour

1/3 cup oatmeal

*1/3 cup wheat germ

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips or chunks

½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

  1. Heat oven to 375 F
  2. Mix sugars, butter, egg and applesauce in large bowl. Stir in flour, oatmeal, wheat germ, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on a wire rack.

*If you don’t have wheat germ change wheat flour to 2 cups

enjoy!

No comments: