No, your eyes did not deceive you--the title does indeed read Pumpkin
Coconut Bread.
I know, my thoughts exactly (except you Joel, we don't think the same coconut thoughts :)) Camden needed to bring one loaf of "sweet bread--pumpkin or banana" for her Thanksgiving feast at school so I thought it would be the perfect time to give this recipe a try. Actually, I started out by experimenting with a Pumpkin
Banana Bread since I had a few ripe bananas but was really in the mood for pumpkin (as any normal person should be the week of Thanksgiving), but I was disappointed with the results. Too blaaaah. It was a good lesson for the kiddos--if at first you don't succeed, try adding a little pudding. I made two batches--one loaf for the first graders and a dozen muffins for me, I mean for the family. They were sooo good (and I don't think even you, Joel, would be able to recognize coconut pudding as the secret ingredient). So, without further ado, I give you...
Pumpkin Coconut Bread- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 1/2oz) instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I didn't use--I didn't want to be responsible for any school children swelling up)
Combine eggs, sugar, and oil in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer hand-held until well blended.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, pudding mix, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon; add to sugar mixture alternately with the mashed pumpkin, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in pecans or walnuts.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove loaf to wire rack to cool completely. (I baked the muffins for 20-25 mins.)
1 comment:
Yum!!!! Can't wait to make them! You have always been the most creative cheffer...remember roller-skating over the cheerios? :)
Post a Comment