I found this recipe for "Satisfying Lentil Soup" in Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine. It sounded interesting because it didn't call for any tomatoes (all my lentil soup recipes are tomato-based--which I love, but it's nice to give the tomato-haters a break every so often) and it called for minced fresh gingerroot (oh, I love fresh ginger!). So it moved to the top of my "must try" list. It also sounded like it could be a great slow cooker recipe and today felt like a slow cooker sort of day. I put all the ingredients in my crockpot and cooked it on High for 3 to 4 hours instead of on the stovetop. I loved all the spices so I changed to name from "Satisfying" to "Soulfull" because for me, a bowl of flavorful lentils is about all it takes to make my soul happy--served with a couple of baguette slices and some cheese, of course.
Soulfull Lentil Soup
4 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced fresh gingerroot (a little less if not a ginger-fan, or 1/2 tsp dried ginger if you don't have any fresh)
2 tsp curry powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground coriander
5 cups water (I only used 4 because I didn't want it too brothy)
2 (14 oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 package (16 oz) dry lentils
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro (I didn't use because I didn't have, and sometimes I'm just not in the mood for cilantro)
3/4 tsp salt
Dast pepper
1. In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the ginger, curry, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook and stir 1 minute longer (or skip all of that and just throw it in a crock pot)
2. Add the water, broth, and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment