Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pilgrims Love Tofu

For Family Night we were learning about the Pilgrims and their voyage to the New World so I thought I'd bring dinner into the story. We made lettuce boats filled with Eggless Egg Salad sprinkled with Pilgrims, I mean sunflower seeds--because nothing says Pilgrims better than tofu, right? Regardless, it was yummy and the girls enjoyed being sea monsters munching on little people. Okay, maybe we strayed from the story a little...
But the best part of dinner was the Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies for dessert. Ever since we voted on McCain's vs. Obama's favorite cookie as part of Heather's chili cook-off, we have been obsessed with Cindy McCain's Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies. This time around I made a couple of changes and we liked them as much or more. But both ways are so good you'll eat more than your share, trust me.
Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter or margarine, softened. (This time I used 1 stick butter plus 1/4 cup applesauce--it made for a chewier texture)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup white flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour--it needed a little more I thought)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups rolled oats
1-2/3 cups butterscotch chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating well. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until blended. Stir in oats and butterscoth chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

(I loved the original recipe, but the addition of applesauce and whole wheat flour made a more substantial, chewy cookie that I didn't feel so bad about eating for breakfast. It's 10:00 a.m. and I've already had three :))

1 comment:

Amadeus said...

We tried the cookies and love them. Bri said they tasted like Mrs. Fields. Definitely going to make these again. Can't wait to try some more of your recipes.