Saturday, November 1, 2008

Quantum of Spices Chili

I'm still in the hunt for the ultimate veggie chili--but I think I've come close. We had a chili cook-off with some friends tonight and my "Quantum of Spices" chili came in second place--okay, technically third place because the hostess-with-the-mostest Heather blew everyone out of the water with her "Business Time" chili (I will pass that recipe on when I get it--with her permission, of course). Anyway, I thought a chili cook-off would be the perfect time to use some of my Western Family Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles because one can of that stuff is so spicy I can't use it in any recipes--and we're not wimpy when it comes to spices. Maybe I just bought an ultra-spicy batch or something (I still feel bad about the time I took dinner to a neighbor family who had just had a baby and I used a can of those tomatoes in a pot of Taco Soup--I was trying to be so nice and neighborly, but instead fed their family a pot full of fire. Sorry). Anyway, if you aren't in possession of a can of firey tomatoes, just use a can of diced tomatoes and a can of green chiles.
Quantum of Spices Chili
1 onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can petite diced tomatoes w/ chiles
1 can stewed tomates, chopped
1 can vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 cup bulgur
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can white beans, rinsed
1 large sweet potatoe, diced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp cocoa (secret ingredient #1)
1 Tbsp molasses (secret ingredient #2)
Topping--
2 avacados, diced
juice of one lime
season salt

Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Add 1/2 to 1 cup water if too thick. Top with diced avacados w/ lime juice and sour cream.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sweet Potatoes!!! That is genius!

And for what it is worth-I did vote for your chili.