Monday, March 31, 2008

Zucchini Wheat Germ Cookies

Tonight we had the Asian-Glazed Salmon and Lemony Aspargus with Wild Rice Pilaf (see previous post)--it was delicious! The Taylors came over to enjoy it with us, so we not only had yummy food, but good company as well :) I didn't have a dessert to equal the fantastic dinner, but I did have some Zucchini Wheat Germ Cookies. Before you start to feel bad for my children and guests, you should know that they were actually pretty good. Not Asian-Glazed-Salmon-good, but decently edible--actually, they weren't that great until I put a lemon-sugar glaze over top. Nate said they would have been really good if they had a 1/2" layer of lemon glaze :)

Zucchini Wheat Germ Cookies
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened (I used 3/4 cup applesauce, which made a softer, cake-like cookie--but no guilt!)
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I didn't have)

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Mix sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in four, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Fold in zucchini, raisins and nuts.
3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown.
4. Once cooled, drizzle with lemon-sugar glaze.

Lemon-Sugar Glaze
I don't have exact measurements since I just made it up, but I mixed about 1 cup powdered sugar with juice of 1/2 lemon. I also added the lemon zest which really made it lemony. I wanted it to have a little tang, but you could add however much juice you wanted. Should be a semi-runny consistency, easy to drizzle.

1 comment:

Gramma T said...

I was there. I ate the dinner and it was most delicious! Thanks Lindy and family for letting us invite ourselves to dinner. We had a wonderful time. I would recommend everything, even the zucchini wheat germ cookies. Very tasty!